In 1905 when the Congregational Church lost its pastor, it seemed to many to be an ideal time to consider a union. Rev. Fraser Metzger, the much beloved pastor of the Christian Church, was called to serve the two churches united, and in October 1905 the union was voted and the name for the new church became Bethany Congregational Church.
In the spring of 1906 Col. Albert Chandler offered to pay for the construction of a music hall to be operated by Bethany Church and suggested an architect be hired to decide which building should be torn down. The Christian Church site had more space for a large auditorium and parish hall, and its edifice was the one chosen to be demolished. Even though the union was enthusiastically supported, there were many tears on the Sunday when it was announced that the Christian Church building, which had stood on that site since 1827, was to be torn down. The 1894 tracker organ, stained glass windows, and some of the church pulpit furniture was taken across the street to find a home in Bethany Church. On the day the wrecking ball took its first swing at the former Christian Church, Jasper Lamson, the church treasurer, stood on the corner with tears streaming down his cheeks as he watched his much loved church building destroyed. Yet this same Jasper Lamson, who had personally financed much of the Christian Church renovation just 10 years earlier, became a tireless worker for joy in the new union. (A window in the alcove to the right of the lectern in Bethany Church is dedicated to him.)